Join Slow Food Calgary and Friends on Saturday June 23rd for another Secret Farm Picnic to celebrate the summer solstice, good, clean, fair local food and drink complemented by the remarkable story of Custom Woolen Mills.
Our chef for this outdoor feast will be Jason Barton-Browne from Hayloft in Airdire, Alberta and this years delicious menu will include:
Amazingly tasty snacks
- A selection of breads and crackers
- Alberta Cheeses
- Pickles and Preserves
Salads and Vegetables
- Toasted Grain and Ricotta Salad, Spinach,Dandelion Greens, Cold Pressed Canola Oil
- Roasted Shirley’s Greenhouse Vegetables, Kombucha Vinegar Marinade
- Poplar Bluff Twice Baked Potatoes, Chive, Dancing Goat Cheese
- Blue Mountain Nettle Hag Cake, Carrot and Guanciale Salad
- Grilled Alberta Trout, Vital Farms Cream, Sorrel, Puffed Wild Rice
- Smoked Redtail Farms Beef, ‘Alberta Barbecue Style’, Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
- Roast Links of Blue Mountain Fennel Sausage
- Alberta Fruit Trifle
NEW THIS YEAR!
- As if all that wasn't enough, each ticket will include a pair of socks made at Custom Woolen Mills and all attendees will be given a brief introduction to natural dyeing techniques before being allowed to dye their own socks either one colour or, using the Shibori technique (Tie-dyeing), a combination of two colours. The socks will be dry and ready to take home by the end of the event.
The socks come in the following sizes:
- Finally, Eliese Watson will also be conducting a short intro to bee-keeping and attendees will have the opportunity to learn from Eliese as she checks some hives at the Mill.
If you wish to extend the fun, we want to provide you the opportunity take full advantage of the night. For only $5 per adult (16+) you can camp in the beautiful surroundings of the Woolen Mill! You'll need to bring all of your own camping gear - we will not be able to supply anything but a spot to pitch, good company, and hopefully a beautiful night. No breakfast will be provided so make sure that you pack some morning sustenance.